Crunchy: romaine lettuce, thinly sliced red cabbage, fuji apple
Chewy: wheat berries
Smooth: chickpeas and applewood-smoked cheddar
All tied together with a simple vinaigrette of white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper.
This is also the kind of salad that is very easy to store in the refrigerator all week. On Sunday I:
- Cooked the wheat berries in lightly salted water, then stored them in the refrigerator.
- Chopped the lettuce and cabbage and stored it in a large bowl in the refrigerator.
- Opened a can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, and stored that as well.
- Chopped one apple at a time and used half per salad, so I did have to chop an additional apple mid-week.
- Chopped some smoked cheddar into small chunks.
- Made the dressing, which I stored in the shared refrigerator in my office.