Friday, April 15, 2011

Weekly Lunch: Apple Crunch Salad with Smoked Cheddar

This week's salad is all about texture. Combining foods with different textures helps keep this meal fun and interesting even after eating it for a few days in a row. Here's what I used:

Crunchy: romaine lettuce, thinly sliced red cabbage, fuji apple
Chewy: wheat berries
Smooth: chickpeas and applewood-smoked cheddar

All tied together with a simple vinaigrette of white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper.


This is also the kind of salad that is very easy to store in the refrigerator all week. On Sunday I:
  • Cooked the wheat berries in lightly salted water, then stored them in the refrigerator. 
  • Chopped the lettuce and cabbage and stored it in a large bowl in the refrigerator. 
  • Opened a can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, and stored that as well. 
  • Chopped one apple at a time and used half per salad, so I did have to chop an additional apple mid-week.
  • Chopped some smoked cheddar into small chunks.
  • Made the dressing, which I stored in the shared refrigerator in my office.
Yay for easy lunches!

3 comments:

  1. Chickpeas are something that totally get better the longer you marinate them - and cabbage is too! I love making coleslaw at the beginning of the week and eating it all week long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LauraJayne - I am liking cabbage more and more these days. There is so much you can do with it!

    Esi - I love apples with cheddar too, someday I would love to try making an apple pie with cheddar crust...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...