Friday, January 28, 2011

Braised Red Cabbage with Apple and Onion

Is it just me or do cabbages kind of look like brains?


Maybe it's my German side asserting itself, but I've really been craving cabbage lately (I really want some sauerkraut too!). Here's another wintry side dish for these cold January days. It's very simple, just cabbage, onion, apple, all cooked together with a little butter and braised with balsamic vinegar.


If I have some fresh goat cheese around, I love to add a few crumbles to the finished dish. Even without it though, this is a vibrant addition to any meal. I enjoyed it with some simple pan-seared chicken and roasted potatoes.


Braised Red Cabbage with Apple and Onion
Makes 4-6 servings
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Half of a head of red cabbage, cut in thin slices about 1-2 inches long.
  • 1 medium apple, chopped
  • 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (I use the $4 stuff from TJ's for this, nothing fancy)
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:
  1. In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 8-10 minutes until softened and starting to brown.
  2. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the cabbage and apple.
  3. Add the stock and the vinegar and simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender.
  4. Season to taste with salt and (lots of) pepper, and additional vinegar if desired.

3 comments:

  1. I so totally needed inspiration like this for dinner tonight... if not, I knew I was going to read cookbooks for an hour until I found something I actually had all of the ingredients for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look like brains- pretty , purply brains though :) haha...
    I like this unique recipe- I gotta try- with the goat cheese addition- YUM

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...