Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Weekly Lunch: Tuna and White Bean Salad

I don't eat seafood very often. My SO is allergic and I've never been a huge fan, so I will occasionally choose a seafood option in restaurants and that's about it. But every once in a while I get a craving for tuna salad, whether the mayo-laden sandwich of my youth or a refined nicoise.

For this tuna salad I mixed:
  • Albacore tuna
  • A can of white beans (drained and rinsed),
  • Diced carrot and celery,
  • A tiny bit of minced onion (this does get eaten at work after all)
  • Toasted slivered almonds
  • Some dried thyme and dijon mustard
  • White wine vinegar and olive oil
This will keep in the refrigerator for a few days.
I'm enjoying it with arugula with some blanched green beans. Simple and tasty (and sugar-free).


Speaking of sugar, well, I'm doing better avoiding wheat than sugar. I definitely had a couple mugs of hot chocolate (with marshmallows!) this weekend, but when I was offered a soda I chose water instead, and when I went out to breakfast I ordered a savory dish with lots of veggies. We'll see how this goes over the next couple of weeks!

Any other favorite tuna salads I should know about?

4 comments:

  1. It's all about baby steps, right? So if avoiding wheat is your first step, then you are rocking it!

    Plus, you should get sugar kudos for helping me to stick to my detox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I'm definitely glad I can help you stick to your plan, the group motiviation thing is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your white bean and tuna combo sounds really good! I've never thought to throw in beans with tuna, but why not? Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brittany! Apparently it's an Italian classic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...