Recently I came into possession of a large quantity of pistachios. What's a girl to do? Use up about half a pound of them in some chocolate pistachio cookies! I saw this recipe at Happy Go Marni. I was out of cocoa powder but I used extra unsweetened chocolate and it worked out quite well. These turned out very fudgy and moist, and the texture did not suffer over the few days they lasted.
Chocolate Pistachio Cookies
Adapted from Santa's Favorite Cookies via Happy Go Marni
1 1/3 cups shelled pistachio nuts, finely chopped
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt.
3. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (or the microwave) and set aside to cool slightly.
4. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, the vanilla and almond extracts, and the melted chocolate. Stir in the flour mixture until just blended, then add in the pistachios.
5. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls on prepared baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time for 8 minutes or until cookies are dry on the edges but still quite soft. It's better to underbake these slightly. Cool for a few minutes on the pan, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.