Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnuts and Lemon
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts
- Juice of one lemon (I used a Meyer lemon)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast the hazelnuts on a baking sheet in a 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes. Let cool, then chop roughly.
- Wash and trim the Brussels sprouts. Slice about 1/8" off the bottom of the sprout and remove any brown or discolored leaves. Slice sprouts in half, then cut each half in thin (1/8-1/4") slices. (You can also shred the sprouts in a food processor if you prefer - definitely the easier route if you are making a larger batch.)
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until beginning to brown.
- Add the hazelnuts and the lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Potato Cakes with Brussels Sprouts
- Leftover mashed potatoes,1 1/2 cups
- Leftover shredded brussels sprouts, about 3/4 cup
- Red chili pepper flakes and/or smoked paprika
- Olive oil
- Combine potatoes and sprouts in a small bowl. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes and/or smoked paprika - a little bit of heat really makes this dish.
- Pour flour, about 1/4-1/3 cup, onto a small dish. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Form cakes using 1/4 cup of the potato mixture (I made 6 cakes using the quantities above). Use your hands to shape them, then coat all sides in the flour. When the skillet is hot, add the potato cakes and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until crispy and deep golden brown. Serve hot.